We understand that local area restaurants are interested in donating food items during this time. We accept fresh produce, products that are unopened and appropriately labeled, frozen and refrigerated items, as well as dry products that have been held at the appropriate temperature.
The Lowcountry Food Bank depends upon the generosity of the food industry. We recover excess products from manufacturers, wholesalers, growers, packers, distributors, supermarkets and others. We gladly accept product that is safe for consumption, yet unsaleable for many reasons including test or promotional product, short-coded items, off-spec inventory, produce with cosmetic flaws, dented cans or bulk items in pallet or truckload quantities.
Types of Food Industry and Retail Companies that participate:
- and more!
Why wait? Donate!
Liability issues are covered through federal provisions that protect donors who act in good faith (See The Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act). The Lowcountry Food Bank meets or exceeds the same federal food-handling and safety regulations that govern the food and grocery industry.
There are simple economic advantages in donating to the Lowcountry Food Bank.
- There may be tax credits available.
- Save money and reduce your waste costs. We can pick up any amount from one pallet to tractor-trailer loads.
- Help families in need. The Lowcountry Food Bank serves more than 200,000 individuals in coastal South Carolina.
Donating food creates many benefits for your business and our community.
- Puts products to good use instead of going to waste
- Reduces storage and disposal fees
- Your donations are tax-deductible, as allowed by law (see Tax Benefits above)
- Enhances inventory control by reducing hard to move products and unsaleables
- Boosts employee morale
- Fosters community goodwill
Reasons for product donations:
- Packaging changes
- Culls or seconds
- Test products
- Discontinued items
- Off-spec inventory
- Produce with cosmetic flaws
- Unlabeled or mislabeled products
- New product intros
- Underweight products
- Promotional items
- Short-coded product
- Customer returns/refusals
Please call or email with questions or donations:
Mark McGilvery, Food Resource Manager
843-747-8146 ext 148